CSCA 2023 Convention - Health Communication Interest Group ... Call for Papers and Panels
Central States Communication Association
2023 Call for Papers & Panels
Health Communication Interest Group
Central States Communication Association (CSCA)
Annual Convention—St. Louis, MO
March 29-April 2, 2023
Intersections, Transitions, and Silenced Voices
You are invited to submit competitive papers, panel discussions, and performance sessions for our 92nd Annual Convention in St. Louis, Missouri. Members are encouraged to reflect on the theme of Intersection, Transitions, and Silenced Voices. Our lives are full of intersections and transitions. We story these experiences in the form of prose, poetry, performance, photography, and film, as well as through print, sound bites, digital pixels, canvas, and fabrics. While some stories are visible, others are in the peripheries or silenced altogether. Our annual conference provides us an opportunity to empowering these silenced voices and historically marginalized bodies.
The Health Communication Interest Group invites submissions of competitive papers and panels to be considered for programming at the Central States Communication Association (CSCA) convention, March 29 – April 2, 2023, in St. Louis, Missouri. Our interest group focuses on helping researchers, practitioners, and the general public better grasp, appreciate, use, and articulate health communication research, practice, and teaching. Health communication scholars also monitor and evaluate the efficacy of community-based, communication-driven, and health-related applications. The interest group is dedicated to engaging in interdisciplinary collaboration to develop curricular innovations centering on health communication. Thus, scholarship, community outreach, and pedagogy comprise our mission.
We welcome submissions on all topics which advance our mission, especially those that address the conference theme, Intersections, Transitions, and Silenced Voices. We strongly encourage submissions that address contemporary health opportunities and threats, invite cross-unit participation and collaboration, and create new opportunities and experiences for conference attendees. We enthusiastically encourage submissions from students and panel submissions that include panelists from multiple institutions. The Health Communication Division offers three awards: top paper, top student paper, and top panel.
- A Competitive Paper must be submitted electronically using the online system located on the CSCA website: https://www.csca-net.org/aws/CSCA/pt/sp/home_page.
- Papers must include a title page and brief abstract (150 words or less). Author names and any identifying information must be removed from papers prior to submission.
- Graduate and undergraduate students should type “STUDENT” on the upper right-hand corner of the title page. If the paper will be a student debut, please type “DEBUT STUDENT” on the upper right- hand corner of the title page. To be considered a student debut paper, (1) the author must be a graduate or undergraduate student, (2) the paper must have single authorship, and (3) the paper must be the author’s first paper to be presented at CSCA. Please note whether the author is an undergraduate or graduate student.
- If you would like your paper to be considered for the Inclusive Scholarship Award, type “INCLUSIVE SCHOLARSHIP” in the upper right-hand corner of the title page. To be considered as an exemplar of inclusive scholarship, the paper must demonstrate academic rigor in the examination of communication and historically marginalized communities/populations.
- Only completed papers conforming to current APA standards will be accepted.
- Papers may not exceed 25 pages, excluding title, abstract, references, and appendices. Papers exceeding the maximum page limit will not be considered for review.
- Individuals may submit no more than one lead-authored paper.
Discussion and Paper Panels:
- Discussion and paper panels must be submitted electronically using the online system located on the CSCA website: https://www.csca-net.org/aws/CSCA/pt/sp/home_page.
- Panel submissions must include the following: (a) title, (b) description (75 words or less), (c) rationale (75 words or less), and (d) a complete list of participants along with their institutional affiliations, contact information, and CSCA membership status. Panels should also include titles and brief abstracts (150 words or less) for each paper or explanation of each participant’s purpose/perspective.
All papers and panel proposals must be submitted electronically using Microsoft Word. Documents sent using any other format will be returned to the sender.
All technology requests must be made at the time of submission.
Deadline for submissions: October 7, 2022, 11:59 PM CST
Send submissions electronically through our online system via the CSCA website. https://www.csca-net.org/aws/CSCA/pt/sp/home_page.
For further clarification, please contact the HCIG program planner, Dee Priddis, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the general call or the 2023 conference, contact Ahmet Atay, 2023 primary program planner, email@example.com.